Friday, March 14, 2014

PRETTY ME UP//DIY BLOTTING TISSUES+BOBBY PIN HOLDER (ALWAYS FLAUNT A FRESH LOOK!)

This was more of a trial and error routine to get the easiest homemade version of...face blotting tissues! Now if you have a slick nose like mine where you may probably have the reflection of the opposite person casting on it, or slick anything really, these are your saviors!


This is a total travel accessory! Holds bobby pins/little baubles.perfume samples etc. in one compartment and heart-shaped blotting tissues in the other and bang, you're ready to head out! I just used my empty powder compact for this but you can use anything (I just wanted to use those old empty compacts piling up). Plus, it has a mirror, since in historical times it was a makeup accessory. That kills three birds in one stone, doesn't it? I adore DIYs like this!

You'll need:

1. A sturdy empty box (consider mint tins, old jewelry boxes, or even anything from the dollar store that is about palm-size)
2. Fabric/paper scraps (I used pretty vintage-style fabric scraps from my pretty DIY storage project!)
3. Scissors, modpodge (any PVA glue) and a marker
4. Filler paper (the ones you find in shoe boxes/or filled in new bags to puff them up and keep shape) or Normal tissue paper thinned down into very flimsy layers or if you're an architecture student like me, low-quality butter paper is gauzy enough for the purpose!
5. Pretty labels (You can use the free label I made for you!)

How-to:

1.Start by cleaning the compartment of your compact (if you're using a compact that is). I cleaned mine and there was still a lot of pigment embedded in (which wouldn't disappear even with cleaning chemicals), so if yours doesn't - don't fret!

2. Roughly cut your fabric scrap to size the compartment.Apply some modpodge onto the wrong side of the fabric and fit it into the compartment. Smooth out any bubbles, wait for a couple of minutes and then apply another layer on top. Let dry for 3-4 hours.

3. Meanwhile, cut a long strip of the tissue/filler/butter paper and fold it until it's the size of a square that will fit your compartment (kinda like accordion style)

4. Fold it in half again and then draw half a heart (don't heart hearts? Leave as is, or do any other shape! I typically favor hearts/flowers for cutouts :) )

5. Cut out and lapse in the glory of lots of small hearts!. Store them in your compartment!

6. If you've downloaded the label I made, cut it to the size of your lid and then glue down. Apply a thin layer of either matte/gloss modpodge on top to seal everything in place.

7. Throw in some baubles in the other compartment and tuck it in your purse!

And now I face the world with a nose that doesn't bifunction as a mirror!

If you don't have a compact like mine, but one of those round ones, you can either use them for these blotting sheets or bobby pins (or make two- one for each!)

I know the part you're waiting for.....the shine test and here it is! Carefully smooth over the sheet onto the shiny areas while pressing. The picture doesn't quite pull in the actual shine here but I think you get the idea :)

If the shine is melting down your makeup, then make sure that the skin has been well exfoliated and is not bumpy. Makeup settles down in little patchy bumps in areas like such and using a blotting sheet to zap the oil will leave you with gaping huge pores exaggerated with the makeup. Big no!

In cases like these, icing the generally oily areas and then applying a primer helps a long way. (Check out my DIY face primer recipe here, it's impressive!).  Ice helps shrink pores and gives a rosy glow and you can immediately tell the difference. Finish off your makeup by some store-bought or homemade setting spray (glycerine + water or rosewater).
And lastly, a little shine is always a plus, it makes you human, and beautiful so don't go overboard!

Excited? Read this magical foundation meltdown trick with a single ingredient! You'll be surprised PLUS it was recommended by a makeup artist!
.......

For more DIYs, go over my DIY gallery here!

If you liked this DIY, share it with others and pin it! They'll thank you!

XOXO, Nash
(Follow me on Pinterest and Facebook, let's gawk pretty things together! *wink)






















































9 comments:

  1. so it's just tissue paper (like you use for gifts?)

    Also, the white on white background is rough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how do you actually make the blotting tissues...that was the whole point of this wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So how do you actually make the blotting tissues...that was the whole point of this wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kim and Olivia: Blotting tissues are made from highly absorbent material like rice paper. Since we don't usually find those in abundance, the next best thing is something as thin so that it absorbs facial oils as much as possible. Olivia, here the options I've given to replace conventional ones are gift filler paper/low quality tracing paper. The post is rounded up to include how to easily carry it in a DIY travel case. I've personally found out now that Starbucks tissues work amazing too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't understand the label- what does "sap and go" mean? I don't want to print something out that I don't even understand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Derp! I deleted and reposted the same comment because I forgot to click on the box that would notify me of new comments, and I'd MEANT to explain that, but then hit "publish" after copying and pasting the original! Oops!

      Delete
    2. Hey there :) It was supposed to mean Zap and go (as in Zap up the shine) but I think I have missed noticing the typo. I've now replaced the original with the corrected link. Thank you for pointing it out.

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry, I feel bad now, I thought maybe it was something that your followers knew about, like a motto or something! I'd only just read this DIY and one other (within minutes of each other) and figured that as I went along I would learn about it, but still...I'm sorry. I hope you have a great day! Thank you for all of the tips and projects!!

      Delete


FRESH IRRESISTABLE IDEAS...

RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!

* indicates required

View previous campaigns.